The year was 1993 and all was right in the world. MTV was blasting Smells Like Teen Spirit non-stop but the tone of my 28.8 baud modem was almost drowning it out. I remember chucking a Pepsi Clear across the room after 6 failed attempts to log into AOL. They were having growth issues and was at my wits end. Thinking, should have signed up for Compuserve
Today as I sit here and think back, how different are things really?
– Today we have blue tooth, wifi, 3G networks, GPS, AGPS and some other things I won’t pretend to even understand. We’ll in 1993 I had a pager the size of a pack of cigarettes and a car phone the size of a PS3 still in the box. People could get in touch with me anywhere. Ok, we’ll anywhere might be a bit of an exaggeration. If the car phone wasn’t turned on or out of range, I had my beeper as backup. Find a payphone was never a problem in 1993. Do they even have payphones anymore?
– We had our browser wars. They were between Netscape & Mosaic. – What ever happened to those two companies did they finally self implode or kill each other off.
– Hell we even had video chat with a program called CUSEEME. That’s where I saw my first live internet naked girl. At least I think she was naked and I think it was a girl. Hard to tell with all those pixels missing.
What else happened in 1993?
The movie Jurassic Park came out And on the radio we had, Snoop Doggy Dogg , Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, Nirvana, R.E.M. and Alice in Chains
- Bill Clinton was President
- The World Wide Web was born at CERN
- The Pentium microprocessor introduced by Intel.
- Windows NT 3.1 released by Microsoft
- Dyson sells the first bagels cyclonic Vacuum Cleaner
- Average Income per year $31,230.00
- Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.16
- Movie Ticket $4.14
- Loaf of Bread $1.57
- Tuition to Harvard University $23,514.00
- Facebook Drives 44 Percent Of Social Sharing On The Web (techcrunch.com)
- Envisioning Sketch Interpretation on Apple’s iPad and Other Tablets (jkontherun.com)
- The History of the Internet in a Nutshell (pathtofredom.blogspot.com)